Elon Musk is an amazing entrepreneur but as a World Savior he is probably the World’s most OverRated.
1. Tesla at this point is just a luxury car brand. Electric Vehicles and Solar are inevitable developmental trends where there will be plenty of competition and no clear winner.
2. Space X is largely irrelevant to the future of the human race. It is Inner Space not Outer Space that is the edge of evolutionary progress. Premises about backup plans and inter-planetary species are severely flawed.
3. Solar City couldn’t succeed on its own.
4. Paypal is a pedestrian payments company.
5. His A.I. Fear mongering is misguided and wasting people’s time and money on an irrelevant problem.
6. Neuralink as far as I can tell is Reductionistic, committing the pervasive errors of Right-Hand Subtle Reductionism.
7. The Hyperloop is an incremental transportation innovation not a transformational one. Again the primary error is an inner space vs. outer space bias. Work is increasingly being virtualized. By the time Hyperloop is functional, if it is even scientifically possible, we will have 3D immersive virtual reality. There are other major axiomatic and trend based errors embedded in the project hypothesis as well.
I remain open to being impressed by new products and companies he creates, but that is HYPE-athetical at this point.
As for his intention, drive and work ethic, I am incredibly inspired.
Also published on Medium.